Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Love Unlisted by Stephanie Haddad

Skeptic scale: ♥♥

Hmmm... I do I approach this review?

Let me begin by saying that I didn't hate it. Ms. Haddad obviously can wield her pen and write a cogent sentence. I think I had more of an issue with the heroine than the actual writing.

She: Obsessive list-writer with other entertaining but highly anal retentive quirks.

He: Free wheeling, perpetually tousled musician.

Conflict: See "He" and "She"

What I liked:
1) Well-written, snappy dialogue, 

2) Not terribly original, but still interesting supporting cast.

3) I'm not a fan of beta heroes but this one was ok. He seemed like a sweet guy and was appropriately knight-in-shining-armor-ish

What I disliked
1) In the end it was just one thing really... the heroine. She's a compulsive listmaker who has a borderline personality disorder. She is controlling, incompetent, so mired in her own neurosis that she is selfish and unsympathetic to everyone else including her best friend who had hand-held her through what sounded like a mountain of inglorious romantic endings. I just couldn't muster up any affection for her, and I really couldn't figure out why anyone would care for her given that she was just so difficult to care for. 

I see that phobias and quirks make a character "interesting". And I did find her interesting. But I would find someone like her incredibly exhausting to know in real life. 

She never expresses any true selflessness and sense of empathy for anyone else - for her best friend, for her widowed mother, for the H... sorry to say, I would NOT want to be friends with this chick.

But I would read something else by the author. She's on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment